[AFMUG] UBNT airview won't run
Craig Baird
2014-10-21 21:36:32 UTC
Is Airview giving anyone else Java related grief? I've got 5.5.10 on
the radio, and when trying to run Airview, it pops an "Unable to
launch" error. I've googled for solutions, and so far nothing pans
out. Using the latest Java 8. In the past, it appears that the
solution to this problem was to drop Java security to medium. Oracle
appears to have removed that option in recent versions. Now you can
only select "High" or "Very High". However, you're supposed to be
able to accomplish the same thing by putting the URL into the
exception list. I've done that, but to no avail. I've also tried it
on a PC running Java 7 with the same results.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Craig
timothy steele

Craig
Eric Kuhnke
Craig
Jason Pond
2014-10-21 21:45:58 UTC
This is with the latest Java update just happened to me about 10 minutes
ago. You have to add the IP to the exception list as http://x.x.x.x then
click OK go to Configure Java in search under start menu. Then click the
security tab and add exception.

It is a real pain.

Sincerely,

Jason Pond
Grizzly Internet, Inc
Sent from Mailbox <https://www.dropbox.com/mailbox>
Craig
Chuck McCown
2014-10-21 21:46:31 UTC
I had to downgrade java to make it partially functional.

Craig
Craig Baird
2014-10-21 21:48:25 UTC
Win 7 & MacOSX
Chrome & Firefox

All combinations of the above seem to choke.

Craig
Craig
Craig Baird

Craig
Craig Baird
2014-10-21 21:50:04 UTC
How far did you have to do on your downgrade?

Craig
Post by Chuck McCown
I had to downgrade java to make it partially functional.
-----Original Message----- From: Craig Baird via Af Sent: Tuesday,
airview won't run Is Airview giving anyone else Java related grief?
Craig
That One Guy
2014-10-21 21:53:53 UTC
java - the language of everything, just because its there
Post by Chuck McCown
-----Original Message----- From: Craig Baird via Af Sent: Tuesday,
won't run Is Airview giving anyone else Java related grief? I've got
--
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the
parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you
use a hammer. -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925
Chuck McCown
2014-10-21 22:10:55 UTC
6 I think.

Craig
Mike Hammett
2014-10-21 22:41:55 UTC
The correct way to fix it in 7 was to add the URL to the exceptions list, not lower security. Never lower security system-wide especially for Java. I don't have 8, so I'm not sure if that still works.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Craig
Randy Cosby
2014-10-21 23:16:14 UTC
Not using wildcards are you? They don't work.
Post by timothy steele
[...]
signature
<http://www.infowest.com/> Randy Cosby
InfoWest, Inc
435-674-0165 x 2010
infowest.com <http://www.infowest.com/>

This e-mail message contains information from InfoWest, Inc
and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain privileged, proprietary or confidential information.

Unauthorized use, distribution, review or disclosure is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
***@infowest.com by reply email and destroy
the original message, all attachments and copies.
Eric Kuhnke
2014-10-21 23:22:35 UTC
It's pretty quick to make a VirtualBox VM (xubuntu or whatever) with
security-lowered Java, just for the purpose of running AirView and other
silly things. Definitely a bad idea to lower Java security system-wide on
your main workstation. I have a stripped down VM with a 4GB virtual disk
here that consists of basically nothing more than an basic Debian install,
XFCE4 desktop, Firefox, Chrome, and the latest sun JRE.
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL>
<https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions>
<https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
------------------------------
Craig
Rory Conaway
2014-10-22 05:22:16 UTC
Make sure you only have 1 connection at the computer you are trying to run on. For example, turn off your WiFi if you are physically connected. There are some other suggestions on Ubiquiti’s site or on the UBNT forum on Wispa.

rory

Quoting Jason Pond via Af <***@afmug.com> <mailto:***@afmug.com> :

Sent from Mailbox <https://www.dropbox.com/mailbox> <https://www.dropbox.com/mailbox>

contact ***@infowest.com by reply email and destroy
the original message, all attachments and copies.
Craig Baird